Do you want higher frame rates on DOOM Eternal and increase the performance of your PC in general so that it all runs much faster?
We’ve got you covered with our DOOM Eternal optimization guide. After following this optimization guide, you will experience higher frame rates (FPS) and your games, including DOOM Eternal, will run much better.
It is all about prioritizing the right settings so that you end up with a nice balance of visuals and performance.
To start with, we will show you the best DOOM Eternal gear and then we’ll optimize your PC and DOOM Eternal settings afterward.
Let’s get right to it!
Best Gear For DOOM Eternal
Optimize Your PC Settings
Optimize DOOM Eternal Settings
Best Gear For DOOM Eternal
In DOOM Eternal, you need the best possible gear in order to compete with other players efficiently. They’re at an advantage if they have better gear than you!
Let’s look at the best products to improve your gameplay in DOOM Eternal!
Optimize Your PC Settings
Let us now optimize your PC settings. These settings and optimizations can also be applied to other games. If you’ve already followed one of our previous game optimization guides, you can skip parts of this step.
First and foremost, we need to ensure that your system meets the recommended system requirements for DOOM Eternal, or at the very least the minimum system requirements.
Minimum System Requirements
Recommended System Requirements
Update Your GPU Driver
You probably hear this all the time, but you need to ensure that your GPU drivers are up-to-date. Especially for newly released games, both AMD and NVIDIA release new drivers that are specifically optimized to run those games.
It’s very easy to update your AMD or NVIDIA drivers. Just click on one of the buttons below, which will take you to the download pages. You can also use AMD’s (AMD Radeon Software) or NVIDIA’s (NVIDIA GeForce Experience) own software to update the drivers.
DOOM Eternal AMD Settings Optimization
If you have an AMD graphics card, then follow these steps to optimize DOOM Eternal (and any other game) for your system.
- Open AMD Radeon Software
- Click on the Gaming tab
- Click on Global Settings
- Set Anti-aliasing Mode to Use application settings
- Set Anti-aliasing Method to Multisampling
- Set Morphological Filtering to Off
- Set Anisotropic Filtering Mode to Override application settings
- Set Anisotropic Filtering Level to 2x
- Set Texture Filtering Quality to Performance
- Set Surface Format Optimization to Off
- Set Wait for Vertical Refresh to Always off
- Set to Off
- Set Shader Cache to Off
- Set Tessellation Mode to Override application settings
- Set Maximum Tessellation Level to Off
And that’s it! You can set the other settings to whatever you want. You will notice a small but noticeable FPS boost.
DOOM Eternal NVIDIA Settings Optimization
If you have an NVIDIA graphics card, there are some additional optimizations that you can do in NVIDIA Control Panel.
Don’t expect it to do as much of an impact as your in-game settings and hardware though.
- Open NVIDIA Control Panel
- Click on Manage 3D settings
- Now use the dropdown to select the game. If you can’t find it, click on the Add button and then add the game from there.
- Set Maximum pre-rendered frames to 1
- Set Power management mode to Prefer maximum performance
- Set Texture filtering – Quality to High performance
- Set Threaded optimization to On
- Set Vertical sync to Off
- Click on Apply
- On the left menu, click on Adjust desktop size and position
- Check the Override the scaling mode set by games and programs checkbox
- Click on Apply
Change Your PC's Power Plan
You can improve your FPS in DOOM Eternal by simply changing your PC’s power plan. By default, the power plan of your PC is set to Balanced. You need to set it to High performance.
Here’s how you do it:
- Press on the Windows key to bring up the start menu
- Type powercfg.cpl and press Enter
- Now select the High performance option
Discord Hardware Acceleration
Most of you are probably using Discord to voice-chat while playing games. Optimize Discord by disabling Hardware Acceleration.
This will improve the performance in all games.
- In Discord, go to User Settings
- Click on Appearance and disable Hardware Acceleration
Google Chrome Hardware Acceleration
Like with Discord, Google Chrome also uses hardware acceleration. You can improve performance in games slightly by turning this feature off.
- In Google Chrome, go to Settings
- On the left tab, click on Advanced and then on System
- Make sure Use hardware acceleration when available is unchecked
Game Mode is a Windows 10 feature that will optimize your PC for play when enabled. We recommend enabling this feature.
It will not have a big impact on higher-end systems, but for everything else, enabling Game Mode can definitely have a noticeable impact, especially if you run many background applications.
- Open the Windows start menu and type: Game Mode settings. If your PC can’t find the setting, then try
- Open the Settings menu by clicking on the cogwheel icon in the Windows start menu
- Click on the Gaming section
- Click on Game Mode on the left sidebar
- Now set Game Mode to On.
Optimize Your Windows System For The Best Performance
If you’re still not satisfied with your FPS, you can optimize your Windows system and squeeze that extra bit of performance out of it. Follow these steps:
- Open the Windows start menu and type: View advanced system settings and click on the search result
- Now click on Settings under Performance
- Select Adjust for best performance and click on OK
The last tip is a very obvious one – don’t run any unnecessary background applications.
For example, you should disable OneDrive if you are not using it. Simply right-click on the OneDrive icon in the taskbar and close it.
Best DOOM Eternal Graphics Settings
And now we get to the good part! Open up DOOM Eternal and apply these settings in the graphics tab:
- Set Window Mode to fullscreen for the best possible performance
- Set Resolution to your native resolution
- Set Vertical Sync to Off
- Set Enable HDR to whatever you want
- Set Field of View to whatever you want
- Set Motion Blur to Off
- Set Overall Quality to Custom
- Set Texture Pool Size to High. This setting is very important.
- Set Shadow Quality to Low
- Set Reflections Quality to Off
- Set Directional Occlusion to Medium. This is a nice option to have.
- Set Lights Quality to Low
- Set Particles Quality to Low
- Set Decal Quality to Low
- Set Water Quality to Low
- Set Volumetrics Quality to Low
- Set Texture Filtering Quality to High. This setting is very important.
- Set Geometric Quality to Low
- Set Chromatic Aberration to Off
- Set Depth of Field to On
- Set Depth of Field Anti-aliasing to On
And that’s it – the best possible settings for DOOM Eternal.
We’re sure that this optimization guide has helped you get a higher FPS on DOOM Eternal and hopefully you upgraded your gear as well so you can slay those monsters in proper fashion.
It is important that you feel comfortable with your graphics and mouse settings so if you are not satisfied, you should course experiment on your own to find the right balance between performance and visuals.